To combat unnecessary vehicle collision deaths and injuries, Caltrans needed to educate motorists about safe driving in and around highway work zones.
Our SAGE Approach
Sagent created a comprehensive statewide campaign that spoke to the general driving public but also focused on research-driven audience segments with disproportionately high collision rates – Hispanic and teen drivers.
We put a human face to the problem by using children of Caltrans workers and the message: “Be alert, my dad’s—or mom’s—at work.” To connect with teen audiences, we worked with iHeart Media to run a Work Zone Social Challenge that encouraged teens to take a safe driving pledge with the chance to win prizes. Sagent also helped develop a virtual reality experience where users could sense firsthand the dangers of working in a work zone.
- During the Work Zone Social Challenges, 4,200+ teens took Safe Driving Pledges. The Virtual Reality video was viewed 231,942 times.
- 61% of California motorists say the Move Over advertising influenced their driving habits, up from 33% and 20% in December and March 2019.
- 1,178,533,483 total media impressions delivered through media campaigns, 378% over the number of proposed impressions.
- 18 general market outreach activities attended; 111,236 people reached.
- The Caltrans HQ Facebook page Likes grew from 37K+ to 58k+.
- $11,194,040 total media buy, with $4,736,360 being added value media (42%).